Sunday, February 19, 2012

Big Things Are Coming

A lot has happened since my last post.  Marathon training officially started on January 29th.  Right around that time, I officially entered the Newport Marathon.  Race number 632--here I come!  I am really looking forward to the race and visiting Oregon and Washington again.  And maybe a little excited about visiting the Rogue Brewery again, but that too will come.  It looks like we will get a townhouse in Newport and stay there for two nights.  I'm very much looking forward to that...and hoping I'll be able to sleep the night before.

My biggest worry about training for a June marathon was the winter training.  This winter has really been very nice so far on the weekends and the perfect year to train.  Unfortunately, the biggest winter storm so far came during my first weekend.  And the cold/flu/virus thing that I acquired.  Oh was I sick!  I missed my first long run, a whole week of training, my second long run and it put me back a little into the third week  For a while there it was (and still is somewhat) difficult to walk up the stairs.  But back into it I must be so today I ran a long run with my friends Maureen and Kelcy.
Kelcy, Maureen and I after our long run
I used this photo in spite of my remarkable double chin.  I'm telling myself it is endearing.  Maureen, Kelcy and I have trained together for years and they make me feel like I can do anything.  Even when I was dragging behind today, they are so encouraging!  The three of us work in the same district.  Maureen replaced Kelcy when she went to work at a different building.  I love to hear their English teacher discussions as I plod along trying to breathe.

The 8 mile run was tough for me today.  It was about 30 degrees at the start and 38 by the finish.  We ran the trails near Maureen's in an out and back route.  I hadn't slept well last night and wasn't feeling great.  My legs felt fine--little soreness here and there but overall ok.  I just felt tired.  And slow.  Before next week's run I want to work on drinking more water through the week.  With my birthday this week I haven't been eating as well as I usually do and will work to improve that this week.

I'm proud of our run today and can't wait for next weekend.  This week I will have some big challenges to getting in my training runs.  I have an early morning meeting on Tuesday and Parent/Teacher conferences on Thursday.  That means Tuesday a.m. is out and probably Friday.  I will have to be creative with my gym time.  Saturday is District contest.  I look forward to seeing how my kiddos will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment